Friday, October 10, 2008

How often do freelancers really play hooky?

I'll never tell how often I play hooky. But then again, is it really playing hooky if you're self-employed? Ditching out of the office for "a long lunch" when someone is expecting you to come back is definitely hooky. I mean, it's not likely you're going to show back up at 5 when everyone else is leaving so you can finish the missed afternoon of work.

For freelancers, it's not hooky if you choose to leave the office on a Friday afternoon, with the intention of working on Saturday morning, is it? I've done that plenty, but at some point the work has to get done. If I'm only going to be spinning my wheels creatively on a Friday afternoon, I'll go play instead. But, only if I really am able to reserve Saturday morning for work. And, I've done some great writing over java in my pjs on weekend mornings. When I'm not fighting to be doing something else, the creative juices flow freely. But, like other seasoned freelancers, I've learned there are days when sucking it up and staying in the office can pay great dividends - like a whole day actually away from the office!

So how do you handle hooky time? Are you disciplined enough to stay at the desk regardless or do you go with the creative flow and work only when the mood is right?

No comments: